Thursday, December 23, 2010

Another Day in the Cloud

So, after two days with my CR-48 Google ChromeOS Notebook, I think its time I share some hardware specifications with you. I am a geek after all, so gotta know the chips behind the glitz.

Since the box doesn't come with much information about what's inside (other than Intel as evidenced by a card that reads "If you cracked this open, you'd find Intel"), I was able to find a post at the Chrome OS Site (chromeOSSite.com) of someone that took their CR-48 apart and came up with the following specifications:
  • Processor: Intel Atom Processor N455 1.66GHz 512K Cache
  • Chipset: Intel CG82NM10 PCH
  • Motherboard: Tripod Motherboard MARIO – 6050A240910 – MB – A03
  • Ram: Hynix 2GB DDR3 1Rx8 PC3 – 10600S Ram
  • Read Only Memory: ITE IT8500E Flash ROM
  • SSD Drive: SanDisk sdsa4dh-016G 16GB SATA SSD
  • Wireless Wan: Qualcomm Gobi2000 PCI Express Mini Card
  • 3g Adapter: AzureWave 802.11 a/b/g/n PCI-E Half MiniCard
  • Bluetooth: Atheros AR5BBU12 Bluetooth V2.1 EDR
This is my first Solid State Drive, and you definitely notice the lack of noise. The battery life is also really nice. I used the machine all day yesterday without connecting to power. Today, it has about 1/4 battery life left. I can't tell you how many hours of actual use that I had, but it lasts longer than my Droid.
As you can see, with a 16GB HD, there isn't much of a place to store anything on the CR-48, again the expectation is that you store your files in the cloud (mSpot, Google Docs, etc.).

I am still getting used to the track pad. It has multi-touch sensitivity, so you can pinch, touch with two fingers to scroll and right-click, and the left click is by pushing down on the pad until you get feedback.

Well, more tomorrow folks... Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment