Thursday, December 30, 2010

Observations

So, I've had my Google ChromeOS Notebook for a little over a week now and I must say that I love this device. I can open and be on the web in just a few seconds. I'm so caught up on my email now. I have also been reading other reviews and blogs about the CR-48 device. This has led to me wanting to post a rant.
The speed in which we become entitled to something that we didn't even know about 10 minutes ago never ceases to amaze me. Many of the blog reviews are very harsh about the Google hardware that they received for FREE! I was reading a blog the other day that was comparing the CR-48 (again, obtained for FREE) with the MacBook Air (starting at $999 and probably costing more around $1,200). Apparently, the blogger was disappointed in the performance and features of the CR-48 when compared with the MacBook. Well, la-de-friken-da...
Besides using the CR-48 for what it was designed for (web access), if you are to compare, you should select something more in the likely price point of around $500. I actually have had the opportunity to do just that.

My wife and I decided that we would get netbook computers for our older children. I searched the web and purchased 3 HP netbooks that actually have close to the same hardware performance as the Google CR-48. Not only did I not know that I was going to be one of the lucky ones to get a CR-48, I also had no idea of the hardware specifications at the time.

The netbooks have Windows 7 Starter Edition on them and HP included a quick start area to speed up access to web and email without having to launch Windows. I can tell you that Chrome OS is faster than even the HP quick start program. Actually, all things that I have done on the netbooks could be done much faster with the CR-48.

Also, my step-son took all of two days to have malware that wouldn't allow him to use his netbook firmly installed. Even with MS Security Essentials, firewall and other software to insure safety. That would never have happened with the Google ChromeOS (not requiring a local virus/malware program) because you don't download applications, nor do any applications get access to the core OS. With ChromeOS, all tabs run in their own "sandbox" and have no direct access to the OS, or other tabs. This makes it so that even if you hit a malicious web site that can affect a customized OS like Chrome, it can't get out of its "sandbox" or container.

To wrap up, I love the Google Chrome device for 90% of what I use a computer for. It has a larger screen and easier interface than my Android phone. It is instantly there (as opposed to the 1 to 2 minutes to get my Windows 7 home PC from powered off to on the web). Its battery life is amazing. As I learn more about how to move my photos and music to the web, it is even easy to blog from this device (this entire blog was written from my CR-48).

Happy new year everyone and thanks for reading. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment